German Baby Quilt

I completed this consigned project on September 14, 2013. The woman I made it for adored it. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out also.


In the blue borders there is chocolate brown thread that writes out the "Piggies to Market" poem in German. I printed out the letters on the computer in the font and size I wanted. I traced it with pencil under the blue and then machine sewed the letters free-motion when it was on the frames.


It may be hard to see in the photos but the inner square is Beatrix Potter coloured piggy fabric and the brown square around it is bricks. Then a solid baby blue sashes and borders the quilt.

You can see a little of the binding; it is another Beatrix Potter character print with blue on blue tones.


For quilting I chose a soft loopy free-motion repeat. I feel it keeps it simple and lets the fabric speak on it's own. I really enjoyed working on this project and I learned how to write on fabric. I will definitely try that technique again!

Labels: