Crochet Batman Hat - FREE Pattern!

My little man (4 years old) is all about superheroes this year. When he saw the Hello Kitty crochet hat I made my daugher, he quickly put in his order for a Batman hat. Plus a cape.

The hat is ready to reveal. I'm proud of myself because I couldn't find the exact hat pattern I wanted so I made up my own. I have never written a pattern before so if you try it, please let me know if the directions need clarification. I think it looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

morethana-mom.blogspot.com
He is just a little thrilled with it (in case you couldn't tell).
morethana-mom.blogspot.com
This is a view from higher up so you can see the ears.
Now to make the cape! This is the fun pattern I will be following.
_____
Batman Hat Pattern
Materials:
Black Worsted-Weight Yarn
Size H/5mm hook

Size:
Fit ranges from a small child to teen or small adult.

Pattern:
Rnd 1: Ch 3, 7 hdc in 3rd ch from hook. Join with sl st. (8 hdc the first 2 chains count as the first hdc of the rnd)
Rnd 2: Ch 2, hdc in same st. 2 hdc in each st around, join. (16 hdc)
Rnd 3: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next st. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st) around, join. (24 hdc)
Rnd 4: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 2 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 2 sts) around, join. (32 hdc)
Rnd 5: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 3 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 sts) around, join. (40 hdc)
Rnd 6: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 4 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 4 sts) around, join. (48 hdc)
Rnd 7: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 5 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 5 sts) around, join. (56 hdc)
Rnd 8: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 6 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 6 sts) around, join. (64 hdc)
Rnd 9: Ch 2, hdc in first 17 sts.

Start Ear #1.
a) Front of Ear: hdc 6. ch 1, turn.
b) sc2tog, 2 sc, s2tog (4 sc). Ch 1, turn.
c) Sc2tog, repeat. (2 sc). Ch 1, turn
d) Sc2tog. (1 sc). Ch 1, turn.
e) Back of Ear: Turn ear so that the ear’s point and base are horizontal (long side left to right). Sc in side of ear to base (6 sc). Ch 1, turn.
f) Keeping ear on side, sc across to end. Ch 1, turn.
g) Repeat row f twice.
h) Making sure that you are starting at the tip and will end at the base, sc while joining into the front of the ear. Turn to crochet into the round of the hat.

Hdc on base of hat 35 sts.
Start Ear #2 following steps a-h.
Hdc on base of hat the remaining sts. Join.

Rnd 10- 17: Ch 2, hdc in next st. Hdc in each st around, join. (64 hdc)
Rnd 18: Ch 2, 36 sts. Ch 8, skip 5 sts, hdc 3, ch 8, skip 5 sts, hdc to end. Join.
Rnd 19-20: Ch 2, hdc in each st around, join.

Sharing with these parties:
Uncommonly Yours

Labels: